CALL US ON +44 (0)116 232 2666

History

The Widdowson Group was officially incorporated in 1975 but our origins can be traced back to the early 1900's when the business was first started by Jabez and his wife Ada Mary, hence the registered name A M Widdowson & Son Ltd.

From the humble beginnings of being coal merchants the business evolved in the early 1960's into general haulage and continued to develop in transport alone until the mid 1980's operating from a number of sites in the centre of Leicester relocating as the fleet expanded.

The Group's venture into warehousing came next in the mid 80's taking over a 30,000 sq ft unit on the current Head Office site on Mill Lane Industrial Estate in Glenfield, Leicester.  We continued to expand our warehousing services on this site as other property became available and the decision was made to centralise the operations of transport and garage services onto Glenfield in the early 1990's.

The Year 2000 came along which saw the capacity at Glenfield exhausted and the continued expansion of the Group's warehouse division was fulfilled by completing two new builds - Bardon DC in 2002 and Wembley Road DC in 2004.

In June 2015 the business was acquired by The HLD Group Ltd an investment organisation with an impressive portfolio of group companies across a number of industrial sectors. 

Today the Widdowson Company prides itself in being able to offer its customer the complete logistics solution through its various divisions - Warehousing, Contract Packing, E-Fulfilment, UK Transport, Freight Forwarding and Garage Services.

Capacity is now standing at over 550,000 st ft with a fleet of 120 vehicles and 200 trailers supported by regional partners to give national coverage and the flexibility to cover your logistics requirements.

Please read through our web site and we welcome any feedback.

Request a callback

Download Our Brochure